A breath of wind, and more “Where have Nicks shorts gone now?!”

Good morning from Jons 4-8am watch. Yesterday was another sun-filled day of motoring across the Atlantic here on Elinca. With such little going on in terms of sailing, vessel sightings or wildlife it’s challenging to know what to write in the blog and so I’m forced to resort to the seemingly menial yet amusing things that we crew do to keep us entertained throughout the day.
A highlight of yesterday was watching a slightly embittered Nick retrieve his shorts from the top of the 4th reef after another round of the game ‘Where have Nicks shorts gone now?’ Much of the rest of the day was filled with pastimes such as sunbathing, practicing reefing, noon-sights and washing clothes with the toe-rail continuing to be used as a clothes horse.
Rather excitingly, what is believed to be Pilot whales were seen swimming past the boat, these being the first whales seen on this leg so far, but unfortunately not hanging around long enough to get any accurate ideas of size or numbers.
At 3pm, once the temperatures were starting to drop after another sweltering day, we came to a halt and the majority of the crew went for a swim. After deferring from swimming the day before, it was decided that the possibility of sharks in the waters around Recife (as suggested by Lonely Planet) was not enough to put off 12 hot, sweaty people from a couple of laps around the boat. Nevertheless, some of the more mindful crew members remained on boat to keep a beady eye out.
Much controversy was caused at dinner time when we were forced to choose between baked beans or peas to accompany our bangers and mash, the crew then divided between the options and questioning the logic of not being able to have both. Thankfully, the uproar was soon pacified with a slice of banana bread that had been made by Raffe with the remaining browning bananas. Moral was also lifted by the appearance of 15 kt wind that allowed us to hoist the staysail, roll out the jib and switch the motor off for the first time in days. At 7.5kts we were flying along, enjoying the peace and quiet and the smoother helm. Unfortunately, after 2hrs the wind dropped and the iron jib was back in action, but the short breeze and an update on the weather had given us hope that we might actually sail Elinca across this ocean at some point.

A big hello and much love to any of my friends and family both sides of the pond who are still reading the blog with such dedication after 4 months. See you in Falmouth!

Lynda x

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

2 Responses to A breath of wind, and more “Where have Nicks shorts gone now?!”

  1. Jess says:

    Im glad to hear Nick is being bullied in such a way instead of me! :c)

    • Richard Clarke says:

      I think that the final fate for Nick’s shorts is to cut them to form a single loop through which Elinca can pass. This is the grown up version of cutting a sheet of paper so that you can step through it.
      The other option is burial at sea.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s